To perceive God, we don’t need any instrument; we only need to become his instrument
On seeing impressive scientific instruments, we may wonder, “Can science develop an instrument sophisticated enough to perceive God?”
That’s like asking: will a future telescope sense the taste of cheesecake? Telescopes are designed to perceive forms, not tastes. Similarly, technological instruments are designed to perceive material things, not spiritual realities. Sophisticated instruments can perceive material things that are normally non-perceivable; they can’t perceive non-material things. And God by definition is trans-material — he is the supreme spiritual reality.
How, then, can God be perceived? By his self-revelation.
Gita wisdom explains that God, Krishna, is infinite. The only way we finite beings can perceive the infinite is by the grace of the infinite. And infinite Krishna grants his grace when we strive to love and please him. That means we need to become his instrument, doing his will in a mood of devotional service. Indeed, the Bhagavad-gita urges us to become his instruments (11.33).
What happens when we perceive Krishna?
- We realize his omnipotence and become peaceful, knowing that we just need to do our part in his service and he will take care of everything else. At the Gita’s conclusion, when Arjuna agrees to become Krishna’s instrument, his doubts get dispelled, and his calmness and confidence are restored (18.73).
- We relish his attractiveness and become ecstatic in remembering him. When Sanjaya becomes an instrument for Krishna by transmitting the Gita’s message to Dhritarashtra, he finds himself thrilled by Krishna’s message (18.76) and Krishna’s form (18.77).
When we become Krishna’s instrument, he helps us realize that he is the underlying attractive principle in all attractive things (10.41). Being energized by that realization, we direct our love to him, thereby perceiving him more and relishing him more, forever.
Think it over:
- Why can’t we perceive God with any technological instrument?
- How can becoming God’s instrument help us perceive him?
- What happens when we perceive Krishna?
11.33 Therefore get up. Prepare to fight and win glory. Conquer your enemies and enjoy a flourishing kingdom. They are already put to death by My arrangement, and you, O Savyasaci, can be but an instrument in the fight.
To know more about this verse, please click on the image